Good morning and Happy Valentine's Day!
It's also a happy day because I have a new slipcover project to share with you :) Lots of in-process pictures for this one, so bear with me.
Here is the before...
A 30-year old designer couch (which has been reupholstered at one point) - solid as a rock and a very classic style. This is a couch worth investing in! My client had several concerns we needed to address - her dogs (you will see one later) like to lounge on the couch (especially when no one is home ;) ), she was feeling like the color was a little too green, and she had a pair of chairs done with linen-style fabric slipcovers that she wanted this couch to blend better with.
This time she wanted a simpler look - topstitching instead of piping or flange trim. And she picked a gorgeous brushed cotton canvas from Pottery Barn - it's a little more pricey than regular cotton duck or canvas, but SO nice to work with. It washed up beautifully, with minimal shrinkage, and is a great weight for a simple piece with few details.
Oh, the other issue we needed to deal with were a few "leaking" feathers from the down seat cushions. Well upon further investigation, the "few feathers" was actually this...
The fabric encasing the down was completely disintegrating! It's really amazing she only noticed a few feathers leaking out. Time to call in the big guns!
We ordered new down envelopes for the seat cushions (the back cushions were in much better condition; they just got new undercovers to catch whatever stray feathers might happen to escape). My client selected a 25/75 down/feather blend, and when they arrived they looked like this...
The structure of the cushion (minus the original feathers!) just slides right in there and zips closed. Well, "slides" might be simplifying it a little - it takes a little work, but this is what they look like after...
So much better! Now that is something I can work with :)
Instead of piping, my client wanted top-stitching, sort of like a Restoration Hardware look. So I purchased a new top-stitching foot and it works great!
Ready for the After?
Look at the loft on those seat cushions! We tried them out - I could happily sit there for a long time :) And we did a tall skirt this time (part of the simpler look, and it matches the neighboring chairs). Here's a little closer look at the topstitching...
And one more view...
... photo-bombed by the doberman :) They have a pair of them, and they are the gentlest, most well-behaved dogs - when I was on my knees measuring for the skirt, they came to investigate and we were eye-to-eye and they were so sweet. I'll be doing some crate covers for them next :)
So, there you have it!
Just a housekeeping note: my next project is underway and I am booked pretty solid for the next few months (and I even have a project booked for the fall!!). For that reason, I will need to take a break from taking new orders for a couple of months - I don't want my waitlist to get too long! If you have talked with me about a project already and you are on my waitlist, we will be proceeding as planned. Otherwise, stay tuned - I'll be working as fast as I can and will open up the waitlist again soon, hopefully before the summer :)
Have a great day!
P.S. Linking up here.