A Family Affair

I recently completed a couple of small projects for a mother and daughter. Each project gave me the opportunity to try something new :)

The first project was a slipcover for an ottoman for the daughter - I had previously slipcovered this settee for her...

Here is the ottoman before...

She requested dropcloth (incorporating the seams for a bit of a rustic look) and sent a picture for inspiration. Here is the after...

I intentionally made the skirt just a little on the long side (just like the inspiration), but I kept the insets in the corner "pleats" just-to-the-floor length so they wouldn't bunch up when they hit the floor.

I was able to incorporate several original dropcloth seams in the top and in a couple of the side panels (first time to do that, and I think it makes for a fun detail!).

The skirt had a small flange inset in the seam to mimic the seam treatment around the top...

It all adds up to a new look for a favorite piece!

Next up were new slips for a couple of Parson's chairs for mom. They had slipcovers, but she wanted floor-length skirts instead...

She selected a beautiful natural-colored rustic linen/cotton blend (this was a new-to-me fabric). It washed up nicely and was a great weight for slipcovers (it will be making an appearance again!)....

She requested a simple, tailored fit...

Mini-piping trim and a blind hem around the skirt finished them off nicely...

And here they are in their "home"...

Chair at Home.jpg

What a beautiful space!

Have you tried something new lately?


P.S. Just a heads up that there are new fabrics coming to Pillows for Good shortly :)



For the Love of Ticking

I'm back! I took a bit of a longer-than-anticipated break from blogging, but as you can see from this new website/blog, it was for good reason :) If you have been following along on Instagram, Facebook, or Twitter you have seen that I had the privilege of collaborating with Caitlin Powell Design to work through a re-branding process. And this new site is one of the results! Other pieces will roll out in the next few months. This branding project has been on my to-do list for some time, so it was great to spend some time and get it done right :)

And, now back to slipcovers!

I love ticking! When my client sent me this picture...

... and said that she wanted it done in ticking, I was all over that! She chose a black ticking from Fabric.com. So, when you change toile to ticking, this is what you get...

My client wanted a slightly looser fit, which worked great for the shape of this piece - no zipper closure was required.

The ticking complemented the track arms perfectly.

We chose to use a micro-cord for the trim - it was enough to finish the seams and highlight the lines of the piece, but not big enough for the stripes to make you cross-eyed.

A short skirt shows off the pretty legs.

This was a beautiful piece to work on; a little stripey update was all it needed :)


P.S. Linking up here :)



Subtle Alterations Can Change Everything

This project required a simple slipcover, but we made a few other changes that resulted in a dramatically updated couch - makes for a great before-and-after! Before...

August Blues - Couch Before
August Blues - Couch Before

... a well-loved couch, sturdy, but in need of an update.

As with any renovation project, we started with the structure, before we did the cover. The couch sat quite low to the ground, so, based on the starting seat height, we determined that the width of a 2x4 would be enough to raise the seat height to a standard 18". My client's father built three frames of 2x4s to raise the couch . Unfortunately, I didn't get a picture, but there was one for each end, and one for the middle that the frame of the couch rested on. It made a big difference, both in appearance and function!

Once the new seat height was established, we could construct the new cover. Dropcloth was the fabric of choice, which provided a neutral backdrop for patterned pillows to come. We decided on a simple, traditional slipcover style...

August Blues - Dropcloth slipcover after
August Blues - Dropcloth slipcover after

A completely new look! The other "structural" change was the addition of new custom inserts for the back cushions. We increased the size slightly over what we started with and filled them with cluster polyfill for resilience. The smaller, rectangular cushions (not pictured here) were also replaced with new down inserts.

August Blues - dropcloth slipcover arm after
August Blues - dropcloth slipcover arm after

Just piping trim and a simple, tailored skirt (with a corner pleat that didn't get pressed quite right :/).

August Blues - Dropcloth slipcover after
August Blues - Dropcloth slipcover after

Subtle changes for a fresh, new look for more years of comfortable use :)