Happy Friday! I am settled comfortably on the couch with a wonderful cup of fresh-ground coffee. The sun is shining in and the work can wait, because I finally have a new slipcover project to share with you!
This felt like a large project, mostly because it took a lot of space in my sewing space :) It was hard to get good pictures! In any case, here we go...
My client loved this chair, well, chair-and-a-half - it's large! But it was time to refresh it with a new look. It took some time to settle on the right fabric - she went with a poly/cotton tapestry-style rose-printed fabric (it was almost the weight and texture of a matelasse). "Upscale shabby chic" was the desired effect. So this is how it came out...
When she picked it up, she declared that her English grandmother would have loved it. Mission accomplished? I think so :)
Love the roll arms!
And a back corner zipper closure.
The ottoman has a secret...
I wanted to make sure that the ottoman cover stayed in place through daily use. So, I added these pieces on each of the long sides. They velcro to the underside of the ottoman and secretly hold the cover in place ;)
And, then we had to make sure the fabric would stand up to daily snuggles with the dogs, so we added "toppers" out of cotton duck..
It was difficult to capture the color correctly - it's hard to see, but it actually exactly matches one of the colors in the rose fabric and blends with other colors in the client's room. The ottoman topper just slips over the slipcover. The cushion cover is banded all the way around and has an additional piece that runs underneath the "wings" of the t-cushion. Ribbons hold the cover on (they are tied under the cushion).
And, there you have it... upscale shabby chic!
Have a wonderful weekend!